Walkers are Welcome UK Network is a nationwide initiative launched in 2007 to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’. The network has expanded rapidly and there are now over 100 locations across the UK that have joined this innovative community-led scheme to benefit from Walkers are Welcome accreditation.
The aim for the network is that accredited locations are:
• attractive destinations for walkers with top quality information on local walks
• offer local people and visitors excellent walking opportunities within their areas
• ensure that footpaths and facilities for walkers are maintained, improved and well signposted
• contribute to local tourism plans and regeneration strategies
• promote the health benefits of walking and increase participation
• encourage the use of public transport
Ilfracombe became accredited as a ‘Walkers are Welcome’ town in May 2012. This means that walkers of any age and ability are welcome in Ilfracombe. Many businesses specifically welcome walkers and they display the Walkers are Welcome logo.