Walkers are Welcome UK Network is a nationwide initiative launched in 2007 to encourage towns and villages to be 'welcoming to walkers'. The network has expanded rapidly and there are now over 100 locations across the UK that have joined this innovative community-led scheme to benefit from Walkers are Welcome accreditation.
The aim for the network is that accredited locations are:
• attractive destinations for walkers with top quality information on local walks
• offer local people and visitors excellent walking opportunities within their areas
• ensure that footpaths and facilities for walkers are maintained, improved and well signposted
• contribute to local tourism plans and regeneration strategies
• promote the health benefits of walking and increase participation
• encourage the use of public transport
Ilfracombe became accredited as a 'Walkers are Welcome' town in May 2012. This means that walkers of any age and ability are welcome in Ilfracombe. Many businesses specifically welcome walkers and they display the Walkers are Welcome logo.
|Collingdale||Gabriel House Self Catering|
|Darnley||Holiday Home Hunter|
|Gabriel House||Hele Corn Mill|
|Mullacott Farm||Harbour Views|
|Score Valley Country House||Ilfracombe Aquarium|
|Varley House||Ilfracombe Museum|
|Larkstone Cafe & Leisure Park|
|Lower Campscott Farm|
The Ilfracombe Tourist Information Centre has a large number of maps, map books, guide books and local walk books. Many of these can be found on the online shop. You can also download short town trails and longer walks in the walking section of this website. Other downloadable walks and leaflets can be found at www.westcountrywalks.co.uk
In addition Ilfracombe plays a key role in the North Devon Walking Festival (usually end of April/Early May). The festival starts in Ilfracombe before moving to Lynton, Porlock and Dunster. The festival has a number of guided walks to choose from with a welcome evening in each location at a local pub.